Can we sell Christian Message/Music CDs?

A Conversation between Stephen ( A young believer) and Uncle Donald ( Uncle Donald has walked with God for more than 70 years)

Stephen : Hello Uncle! How are you?

Uncle Donald : I am fine my dear child. What is that in your hand?

Stephen: It is a Christian message CD and a "Praise and Worship-Song CD" Uncle. I just bought them from the Christian book store. I will listen to them in my free time.

Uncle Donald : My dear child, Did you buy these CDs by paying money?

Stephen : Haha . What sort of question is this uncle? Do you think it is wrong to sell Christian CDs? After all these are Christian CDs uncle and not any secular CDs.

Uncle Donald : Our Jesus has said " Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give" [Matthew 10:8]. I just remembered our Lord's words my dear Child.

Stephen: But Uncle, the money I spent to buy this CD will be used to help the poor, needy and it will also be used in ministry work. Hence I feel that it is correct to sell these CDs uncle.

Uncle Donald : Yes my child. We have to help the poor and needy. But that doesn't mean that we have to sell our talents for money. Songs that are sung to praise our God; messages that are preached to convey the Gospel message, and even the Bible are now a days sold for money. I am saddened at the state of Christianity, my dear Child.

Stephen: But Uncle, Those who recorded these songs, have spent money in recording studios and in printing the CDs. So at least to regain the invested money, they could sell the CDs. Isn't it? If they don't sell the CDs, How will they break even?

Uncle Donald: Apostles Paul in 2 Thess 3:8 says  " We worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you". Paul did not make business with the Gospel. Instead he labored day and night and earned his money. Similarly we have to labor day and night and earn our money through hard work. We are not supposed to do business with Gospel.

Stephen : Uncle, I understood it now. When I release my music album, I will distribute the album freely to everyone. I won't price it. Freely I have received, Freely I will give. Thanks for opening my eyes to the Truth Uncle.

Footnote:

This article is Adapted from a mail sent to me by my Spiritual brother in Christ - Brother Vijay.

 
God gave me the talent to write and compose songs. He has even blessed our family to release one music album.It was not sold for profit, but still it had a price tag. But when God spoke to me again and again, I was convicted not to price my forthcoming albums.Freely we have received, Freely we will Give.


I don't know how many "Praise and worship" leaders would appreciate this move. This is not written to invite praises and compliments too.  There might be arguments and disagreements to this article. But If you are convicted by the Holy Spirit, not to do business through Gospel, please heed to him.


He who has an ear,let him hear what the Spirit says to the Believers. 


Shielded in his Love
- Prason

No comments: